Thursday, November 08, 2012

Mom

Today started off rough.

Mom was sad mom. She woke up crying. She literally hung onto me. I couldn't leave her..not even for the thirty or so minutes between Melecia and I.

So during this time I did some of the tests with her Sam needs for science project. I can honestly say she is between the years 1940-50 in her mind. I could have cried. She has no memory of her children or grandchildren.

She did real well on sight words and ok on 1st grade math. She knew how to draw shapes and could not draw hands on a clock. (Classic Alzheimer test...look it up) instead she would circle the numbers for 1:45.

I hate hate this disease. Why why why does it exist? It is beyond cruel. I don't understand.

2 comments:

A Candle to Read By said...

I have often wondered if she and others understand their situation? Does she realize at this point that she has this disease?

B.R.M said...

I don't think she realizes she has Alzheimer's. She will tell us often, she forgets things.

Sometimes it really bothers her that she can't remember words or names.

I remember my dad in a moment of clarity in his fight with AD - he said "it is like watching a movie - I can't do anything about the characters and what they are doing - and I am the character."

I often say it has to be sheer torture to be trapped in your own mind and not be able to do one blasted thing about it.