Tuesday, March 05, 2013

This Caregiver on This Tuesday....

This caregiver is sooooooo tired.....worn out actually.  We've had an exceptionally long day with doctor appointments.

We left early enough to eat lunch out - that was a treat!  Mom ate catfish - she absolutle loved it.  I opted for a salad, and Melecia at beef tips.  We ate at one of my favorite places to eat COLTONS in Bartlett.  When I worked in Barteltt - I ate there just about every Thursday which was my super long day at work.  Their sweet tea is good - the only problem is they sell fake Dr. Pepper...akda Mr. Pibb and yes you can taste the difference.

It was good to be with Melecia for a whole day - we put our heads together and came up with different food ideas, etc.  Mom now has a wider variety of foods for lunch - which is her main meal.  We asked mom questions about favorite foods, etc - and she told us.  She likes fish, carrots, butter beans, chicken, beans and bread.  So after we ate we still had time until our appointments - so we went to Kroger...mom sat in the car with Melecia (oh how I wish I had that all the time) - and I picked up a few things.  I am off routine in grocery shopping thanks to surgery.  But oh well.

Finally we make it to the doctor about 40 min early until my appt - thank goodness!  I was seen - was told my ears are still bad and all the glands and lymph nodes in my neck are very swollen.  It really does feel like I am swallowing glass and totally hurts to talk.  But thankfully they gave me two shots!  The awesome cocktail shot and an antibiotic shot.  I should feel better by tomorrow. And two more prescriptions.  I really think I should have taken more time off after surgery - allowing myself to heal all the way around.  Hard Lesson Learned!!!  Mom was seen - they started checking her in as I was finishing up - and they came and talked to me before mom came back to the same room so we could go over everything and get a game plan. With Alzheimer's it is hard to tell what is wrong - so they gave her a pretty good check up.  They are checking her thyroid, etc.  But did find she had a bladder infection, her blood sugar was high - they are going to check that again and let me know those results - because it could be from one of her medicines. And of course the potty issues.  Bless her heart - it is going to take a bit to get straight - but I promise I made a rookie mistake in care giving and won't happen again - I have to be on top of that.  A web site I read regularly suggested keeping a bathroom chart and diet chart to see how those two things correspond.It is just making myself do it.  Being organized enough to do it.  But 24 hours ago  - at this time - mom could not walk, could not talk - she was pitiful  My mind was already jumping to conclusions and other what if's.i was a wreck.  Shame on me!  She received a couple prescriptions -so hopefully she will feel better soon.  We were at the doctor a long time - about 2 1/2 hours. Whew.  Thankfully they called in our prescriptions and they were ready as we came home - whoo hoo!  That totally saves time.

We made it home - mom was hungry - made  her a steak sandwich - she is now dozing on the couch.
I hope to do some work here shortly - mainly checking and answering emails.  I did about two hours of work this morning and about 4 hours last night.  What an absolute blessing.  I am so thankful.

Then men in this family are eating pizza tonight - just too tired to do more than that. 

Specific prayer requests...

I have a court date scheduled for child support - I know exactly what the outcome will be.  He won't show, a continuance will be filed, blah blah blah. I called my case worker today and explained that I have missed so much work lately with surgery and being sick and with mom. She asked that I get my doctor to fax a letter and for me to send a letter to them explaining that I do care, that I am concerned - but I just can't miss.  The last court date was such a waste - I was the last one seen - and nothing was done.  It gets old. The system is full.  Thankfully their dad is attempting to do right - and has been paying something - so that is a good thing.  And I will say that.  I just want to keep it in the system - and have them collect as he works, etc. - why waste time, energy, tax payer money, my paycheck and my sanity for an unfruitful event?

Pray mom gets straightened out soon!  Pray her blood sugar reading was an error.  I know there is no cure for Alzheimer's but these small things surely worsen it. And right now I am so hating this disease.

Pray for me as Sam is so being a teenager.  I need to use discernment and wisdom. And not lose my mind with foam coming out of my mouth.  Ha!

Pray for our leaders state and nationally. There is so much going on. 

Thanks to my coworkers for yet again helping and covering for me.  I have no words as to what it means.  I am blessed. 



No comments: