There is no denying we are on a new leg of the Alzheimer journey. I wish I could adequately explain the changes I have seen in two weeks. But we will adjust. We will keep going.
I have to prompt mom to eat. Take another bite, take a sip, and so on. She does better if I am sitting right beside her. She ate good today - three full meals and plenty of liquids. I bought some red plates after reading a couple of articles that suggested red plates encourage/prompt Alzheimer patients to eat, I also picked up those plastic cups with straws - and lids. And plastic coffee cups with sipping lids (similar to what you get in a restaurant) so she won't spill it.
I gave her a bath and curled her hair - she needs help dressing now. Or I coach her what to do - I want to keep her doing as much as she can. She did talk to day - probably because I talked about any and everything today. She also dusted and dust mopped.
She went the whole weekend without wearing her beloved sweater and without carrying her purse. Strange for me to see. She leaned toward blue jeans and a sweatshirts.
I refuse to let her give up. I refuse to let her quit. I want to keep her moving and talking. As I said before I want to just pour my will into her - to keep her going. She knew my name today - so something is still there. She knew Steve's name and Tori's. The person of mom is still there! A person who deserves care, who deserves the best I can do and give.
I ask for your prayers - pray for clearer moments and physical strength for mom. Pray I am patient and strong of heart and mind - and learn how to handle the new bumps we will face.
No comments:
Post a Comment