Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dr. Seuss and Mom

Three weeks ago - mom could barely talk or walk for that matter.  I know she won't ever be back to her old self here on earth - and in heaven - she will be completely healthy....

But I decided to bring back Dr. Seuss into my life...for mom.  I pulled books off the shelf that I probably red a 100 times with Tori and Sam.  She is reading them - and enjoying them.  The rhythm, the rhyme and the illustrations are helping her.  They are stimulating her mind.  I am also taking a Children's Story Bible (she calls it her Sunday School Book) and we are reading it.  She likes it.  I turn the TV off so the room is quiet and we read.  I don't know how much she will remember or absorb - but for that moment there is a peace.  We pray every night - ending our prayer with "Lord, make us new, inside and out, thank you for The Cross, and may we wake up new in mind, body, spirity and attitude."  And then mom says AMEN real loud. I wonder why I waited so long to try this? 

I have also put a basket together of her Happy Meal toys and such - and we go through them one by one - naming them - working them, etc.   Heck, I even make the animal sounds.  I need some legos and linking toys - she seems to like to put things together.  I want the chunky blocks.

She doesn't need her walker -she is so much stronger than she was.  God is so good.  Thanks to Melecia - she is eating healthy, hot lunches every day!  And a breakfast to include cereal, fruit and juice.  Melecia works so hard -  mom's hair is curled every day, her nails done every week - she notices and handles the small stuff - keeping mom's dignity in mind at all times. 

We appreciate your continued prayers. 

1 comment:

A Candle to Read By said...

You're so right, my sister. God is so good. All the time. I love your idea of reading with her. Dr. Seuss helped to raise her kids as well. "There's a wocket in my pocket and a findow in my window."