Thursday, November 23, 2006

I survived the holiday being single. Yep. Hand me a gold star and a blue ribbon, I survived another holiday being single. Whoo. Hoo. When I went to lunch with kids' great grandmother - I caught a few stares - I am guessing they were thinking something liked this "Oh, how sweet, they've come to lunch together - both are probably alone in the world." Now the part of my brain that has some common sense really knows that everyone in that restaurant could probably care less about me - so I guess I was more self-conscious than I thought. But I was looking around the restaurant-people watching-and noticed several "mismatched" groups. (if that is the right way to say it.) I saw a table full of truck drivers. A couple of nurses. Mothers and sons, the mothers anxiously waiting for their "little boy" to show up - "he told me not to cook since it is the two of us- just meet him here and he is going to buy me dinner", one of them said. He brought her flowers and pulled out her chair. (He lives out of town) Surprised her by saying he planned to spend the night, and he would put up Christmas lights for her. She was glowing! How sweet. Saw mothers and daughters of various ages - that was sweet to watch. An older couple - he carried her plate. Teenagers and weekend parents - trying to be comfortable with each other. The parent looking sad, because soon it would be time to drive his daughter home. The employees were in good spirits - probably already sick of anything associated with food - ready to go home and put their feet up. But I noticed there were especially sweet to the older people - and I appreciated that - for one day I will be that older person. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I did more than survive the holiday - I realized I am blessed.

No comments: