Friday, December 22, 2006
The lost art of letter writing. I love letters. I love to write them and to receive them. Remember, for those of you who went to summer camp, how you would write your parents a letter, and it would arrive home after you did, and you would be excited seeing the envelope. Excited because you would have written memories. Remember letters from aunts and uncles, grandparents (I did not know mine) and other family members, those with pictures of cousins you would see once year? Those letters from uncles who smoked cigars, the dollar placed inside would smell like your uncle? Or it would smell like your aunt's Avon perfume? Remember those letters you would receive from pen pals assigned to you in school, how you would dream of meeting? The stamps you would save - especially if your pen pal was from a different country - or if a friend was stationed in Japan with her family? I remember a letter I received from a "real live" missionary (as opposed to?????), I thought that was the coolest thing. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate email and the internet, but it is not as personal. A letter written in the writer's own handwriting is a special treat -another kind of memory. I always wanted stationary with my name or initials. I have never had that. That would be so neat. Okay everyone, go write someone a letter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment