Christmas with their Dad. My kids had Christmas with their dad yesterday. Since we have been divorced, I have sent a list of what they want to him and his parents. Well, I send it to their grandparents and they share it with him. It has worked out well. I know what they're receiving here in our home through Santa and my family, so there is no duplication, etc. This year, his parents asked for the list via my son. My daughter and I worked on the list - 6 items each, it wasn't an extravagant list by any means-and they knew not to expect everything on the list, I have really toned it down this year all the way around.
Well, they didn't get anything on the list. And this year he and his parents bought gifts together. My son is happy, he received golf clubs and army men, he is in heaven. The army men are a nicer version of those little plastic army men he has that I step on. And I can already tell you, these new guys hurt when you step on them.
My daughter received a digital camera. It is a nice camera, but that is not what she wanted. She is very disappointed. I know it sounds incredibly selfish and inappreciative-but her feelings are hurt. She said "Mom, it is like he doesn't know me." You see if I were to get anyone a camera, it would be my son, he loves, loves, loves cameras. But he is too young. Now mind you, if it were me, she would tell me she didn't want it, can we please return it? But she won't do this with her dad - she said "well, I know if I say that to you, you will be here tomorrow, I'm safe with you, plus his wife would gripe at me."
The mom in me wants to go out and pick up the gifts that were on the list-because they really wanted them, but I just can't - she will be fine-and probably really enjoying the camera a year from now - if she doesn't lose it or break it (which she will) -she is smart and funny, but she loses stuff all the time-and when and if that happens-then I will tell her dad next time - stick to the list.
No comments:
Post a Comment