Saturday, September 15, 2012

Why???

I am asked often why I take care of mom, why not put her somewhere?

The other day Melecia and I were talking....and she said she noticed how protective mom is of the kids...how at 4:00 she watches for the school bus everyday.

That started some serious thinking. I Was a single mom for a long time. The last six years I lived at moms... Both of us helping each other. Oh we had disagreements and fussed.

But because of us living there Tori and Sam did not live in a horrible neighborhood, had good clothes, meals, and I could work to get back on our feet. And we did. Mom would watch them if they were sick and couldn't go to school, have something healthy to eat when they got off the bus at 4:00.

Was it perfect? No. She wouldn't allow us to turn one room into a bedroom...so the three of us were in one room. But in a way that was good. We were close. The kids and I started and ended the day in immediate prayer , I watched the same tv shows they did. I talked to them every day. When weekend jobs came up they always went with me. Because of mom they were safe and not latch key kids.

Mom was not the affectionate type. She just wanted to clean. I don't remember getting a lot of hugs or positive words from her. She could be standoffish and mean. She wasn't one to rave over school awards and such.

But in her way she loved her family. Still does. She thought all three of her girls were smart just because we "typed" at work.

Why? It is the right thing to do. Sure I'm tired. Make that exhausted. Looking back Alzheimer signs were there - but I cant turn time back. I just move forward. Right now she is in the room next to mine, her rice krispies are on the cabinet with the same bowl she uses every day. Will it change? I don't know... I'm taking it a day at a time.
God supplies the energy and all we need at the exact moment we need it.

Why? It is right. Why? I love her.

No comments: