Last night I fried chicken strips and mashed potatoes.
I looked and noticed that I was using the same pans, bowls, colander, and utensils that I learned to cook from and that mom probably cooked 100's Of meals from. These I brought here recently from her house when she moved here.
And I decided all of it just tastes better. I miss my mom's old fashioned country cooking. But by using her kitchen "stuff" I do believe what I cook tastes better.
I do wish I could make her fried pies, salmon patties, pecan pie, and corn bread. Anything I have attempted does not touch how she did it. I have mastered her rock cookies, potato soup, roast, chicken, and a few others.
I would love though to sit down at that kitchen table where I did homework and eat one more after church Sunday meal. If you still have those opportunities to eat with your parents and family - take them. One day you won't have them.
1 comment:
When we are all with the Lord, these sweet memories will not be tinged with the bitter--they will just be sweet. THank you for this post. I miss my Mom.
Post a Comment