Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Help....my mom is dating!

(Before I begin this writing, a note to my dear friend at church - I am not making light of your feelings-but it gave me an idea-along with some things my kids have been talking about)

As I have mentioned before, I am a single mom. Dating is not something I have dived into.
My kids are funny about it. My daughter has a very short list of two guys she wouldn't mind me dating. My son said I don't need to date, don't need to remarry, he says when he becomes a police officer after he finishes in the army, he is going to buy me a house next to his, pay me $20 a week to baby-sit his kids and buy me a Nissan Altima (my dream car...one day!). So there, my kids have me taken care of...sort of.

My father passed away almost 5 years ago - my mother never even thought about dating again. (But trust me when I say, my sisters and I wish she would!) I have no doubt that if it had been the opposite - my dad would have dated. Probably remarried. (and I am sure I would not have liked it one bit)

I have a friend who lost her father almost a year & 1/2 ago - her mother is dating again. She is not ready for this. Doesn't want to talk about it with her mom. I understand. I really do.

In our parent's mind we will always be that 10-year old needing a band aid. In our mind our parents never have sex (except for....count the number of children), and they never date anyone but the other parent. Well things happen, life happens.

If we as adults have a hard time accepting the fact that our parents date, how do we expect our children to accept it without having issues? How are we supposed to handle this without hurting our children and possibly losing out on relationships?

Just food for thought.

But the way I see it...one day I may be making $20 dollars a week, driving a Nissan Altima, and babysitting my grandchildren.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely. But when do I get to babysit the grandkids?

B.R.M said...

Anytime you want! I think that is one of the great things about being a grandparent. Also, you can babysit on Friday, go out Saturday on a date!