Tuesday, May 22, 2012

WANDERING - SUNDOWING.....JUST NOT A GOOD DAY

Mom did not have such a good day yesterday.

I picked her up - she was so ready to come home with me - had her little bag packed.  :) She was Sundowning big time..

We get to our house - and she never settles.  She nibbled at dinner (though Melecia did tell me she ate a good lunch and had snacked on her precious Mrs. Weaver's Salad), she folded some clothes (loves folding laundry), then she wandered all over the house with a paper towel just wiping - for almost two hours.  She had a stomach ache - after she found relief - she rested.  But she was up early and ready to go!  I had a headache left over from yesterday and I felt real nervous for some reason - I couldn't sleep.  Maybe I was sundowning!

As I type this I can't help but compare mom and dad.  Dad went down so fast - he seemed to suffer so much.  Mom is different - as Ronald Reagan's daughter wrote - it is the Long Goodbye.  I am glad mom is not suffering physically.  She is strong, walks and exercises - has a decent appetite.  It is just the prison in her mind.  Dad seemed to have known in someway what was happening and just gave up. After reading a blog or two - about treating infections and agitation - dad was totally over medicated 10 years ago.  I have never wanted mom over medicated.  I am funny about medicine.  There are times when I may have to give mom an extra pill for agitation - I try to avoid it.  Milk and a snack seem to do wonders for her.  (especially if it is cookies!)    I have learned that during peak sundowing time - to just get the house quiet and dim lights.  I actually put the TV on "low stress" channels - the cooking channel, the weather channel, or just a kids comedy that doesn't have horrible language, etc.  What seems to calm most is when we are driving in the car every morning - listening to Chuck Swindol.  She loves to listen to him.  Today we listened to part of Adrian Rogers and then Chuck Swindol.

Again, I appreciate Melecia so much.  She had a rough day with mom yesterday but was real positive and happy when I got there- though I could tell she was tired. 


No comments: