Wednesday, May 16, 2012

IN THE NEWS

I am so glad that Alzheimer's is in the news.  We need attention brought to this hateful disease. But we need more than a web-site, a toll free number and pats on the head.

I wish I was smarter.  I wish I was a doctor. A scientist.  Something or someone who could help find a cure. A treatment. A preventative.  Something. But I am me. Facing this with my mother after going through it with my father.  And seeing three aunts lose the battle also. 

As I wrote before I try to find laughter in the day - to enjoy the lighter side of things.  I laugh to keep from crying on most days.  And sometimes the tears win. 

I wonder if I could adequately explain to our President what Alzheimer's does to the person and the family.  How tired one can get?  How discouraged?  How it must be a living hell to be trapped in your mind like so many are?  How it is hard to work and take care of family when you are a caregiver?  I never seem focused on the tasks at hand - worrying about mom.  Though it is easier since wonderful Melecia came into our lives. 

No comments: