Monday, May 14, 2012

ALZHEIMER'S

I have always tried to have the attitude to laugh when it comes to the adventures of mom. And sometimes it is so hard to do so.   Especially when I am tired and such. 

I have been thinking about this disease a lot lately.  It is such a part of my life. 

Dad had Alzheimer's.  His sister Alma did too.  Mom has it - her sisters Evie and Bobbie did too.  And from what mom describes - I bet her mom did too.  It is a horrible disease.  It is not fair.  There has to be a cure - there has to be a way to treat it.  It robs us of so much. Robs the patient of so much. What is going on in science labs and hospital's around the world? 

I try to think what am I supposed to be learning from this? To see two parents suffer from the same disease -but  so dramatically different. Everything I knew about Alzheimer's I knew from dad.  Mom is so very different.  There is no predicting their behavior.  It is  light switch.  You can peg sundowning time -you just don't know what they will do.  Yesterday we ate around 4:00 - gave her medicine at 5:30.  Kept the house quiet on a low stress TV show  and and semi-dark and that seemed to help considerably.  She went to bed at 8:30.  So last night was good.  Friday night, Saturday and Saturday night, early Sunday afternoon - not so good. 

I am thankful for Melecia.  She has a gift.  She is able to get mom to cooperate and do things that I cannot. And she has told me to be prepared for bad days - that not all of them will be good. 



No comments: