Sunday, October 14, 2012

Books

I love technology. I love books.

I still read books the old fashioned way. I turn pages. I'm not ready to read them on a screen.

Paul Harvey, Erma Bombeck. Art Bucwald, and many others wrote their books, columns on a typewriter not a computer. I picture them typing at a speed that would have made my typing (not keyboarding) teacher jealous. I'm trying to picture Ann Landers write her daily column from an iPhone or iPad. And I can't. Somehow knowing that many of my favorite books started with a blank sheet of paper instead of a blank screen makes them some of the best books written. Not to mention all the classics...written before typewriters and had to be typeset a letter at a time. Moby Dick, Dickens, those by Twain, and countless others....

I'm glad we have technology. I enjoy it. But as I am reading Paul Harvey today I appreciate the typewriter and the mind and heart of the author.

No comments: