Here I am house sitting for my sister - minus the kids. I have been calling it my vacation - I am the only one here. She has a nice house with a pool. I have been looking forward to this time for some time now. I picture myself laying out by the pool tomorrow afternoon and a few days this week.
Even though she has left high maintenance instructions for high maintenance pets. I have a sheet of TYPED instructions with about 7 paragraphs. Geesh. Her son has a lizard - I have to feed it worms! Now I know most of you are laughing at this point - knowing my aversion to anything smaller than my foot,(with the belief, if it is smaller than your foot, it should die - the smallest critters, cause the biggest problems) especially things with no legs and things that slither. EEWWWWWWWWWWW. I am sure I will have nightmares. And that is just the worms...I won't even discuss the lizard.
It is nice to have this space, but makes me long for my own. That is the hard part. I plan to keep busy this week - these last few days of being kidless. Though they may come home earlier than expected because of their dad's work schedule. I hear my daughter is being slightly bratty-an understatement I am sure-considering she did not want to go at all. And I have a strong feeling, she and I are going to have a "come to Jesus" meeting upon her return. Ah, to be almost 15 and know it all. I can't be too tough, she leaves for church camp this week.
Well, back to my retreat here in my sister's house, I did get taste of what it will be like to live on my own if I never marry. Are all single people destined to buy 1/2 gallon and quarts of milk, frozen dinners, small loaves of bread? I am used to buying about 3 Gallons of milk a week, and about 4 loaves of bread a week. Selfishly, I did buy some extra stuff, just for me. But it seemed kind of sad to shop for one.
I will enjoy this time and be lonely in spurts I am sure. But this time is a gift and I will enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment