Thursday, May 16, 2013

What I Learned About Alzheimer's Disease....

In the time I was away on our vacation, I learned a lot.

Me, being a list maker - see below.

  • Caregivers need and deserve the break, not only to rest and heal, but to be better caregivers.
  • Mom survived without me being here - she did great.
  • I must allow others to help and not smother.
  • I must allow mom to do as much for herself as she can.
  • I must adjust my attitude and change my thinking - mom is not able to change.
  • I must learn to forgive myself when I mess up and not dwell on the mistakes - learn from it and go on .  (this applies in every area of my life)
  • I must enjoy life, the every day quirks and turns.  To enjoy the sunshine, the rain, to notice flowers and the world around me.  I need to allow mom to enjoy them also.

I am pretty sure my list could be longer...but these are a few that I have been thinking about.

By the way....I was asked to write and article for the Home Health Service Agency Melecia works for about mom and Melecia.  It will be on their website, their printed material and on FACE BOOK.  I will let you know when it comes out.  They are asking families to share stories - and we are honored to be the first.

No comments: