Mom has taken two totally different types of medicine. One we saw immediate reaction - the other it took us a bit to figure out what was going on.
We have to be so careful in regard to medicine. All of us. In my case, or in mom's case, I don't want to over medicate - I don't want her a zombie - but she and I both need rest. It is a balancing act. Trying to adjust to where she rests and is not violent - but we want her functional.
I want to mention the two different medicine types she was on.
Haldol - this is one she on for 3 days last year. Just after three days, she could not walk, talk, eat - it took Melecia and I about 3 days to flush it out of her system - literally making her drink water, juice, coke - go get it out of her system. It was horrible. They use this one a lot in nursing homes to help with patients I guess - but I consider it a hateful drug. Evil. I heard from one person - they sometimes use it in prisons - they call it the "Haldol" shuffle to control those that can't be controlled otherwise. I do not recommend this one at all.
Ativan - We used to give mom just as needed - then she became real violent and after a check up the doctor allowed us twice a day. It took a bit for us to notice changes - and I have to be honest - I blamed it on Alzheimer's - thinking we were progressing to next stage. She became real antsy, would not go to the bathroom by herself-she was terrified of the bathroom, could not control her bladder, couldn't dress herself and at peak "sun downing" time she was worse. She was literally moving furniture, tearing up things - shredding paper, once she squirted toothpaste across the living room. This medicine I have mixed feelings about - - used "as needed" it did fine - but it was not good for every day. She has been off this medicine for a week today.
Mom has really had a good week - Tuesday was bumpy - she slapped me hard (I have a slight black eye) but other than that - she has been a different woman. Melecia definitely noticed. Mom is back to dressing herself, she is controlling her bladder, is not afraid of the bathroom and praise the Lord - has stopped sliding living room furniture everywhere. And she is sleeping.
I talked to the doctor yesterday - we are going to stay like we are for now and see how she does. She eats three meals a day plus her snacks - she is healthy - and is strong for her age (until she thinks she needs to act feeble and she will put on an act that would rival Meryl Streep.ha!)
No comments:
Post a Comment