Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Single Parenting. I can speak from the experience of once being married and now being a single parent. It is hard. Exhausting. There is never enough time, space, energy, money or rest. I know married couples have their struggles as parents, but it is different, you have each other when you are married. If the relationship is the "ideal" the work is divided. Not one parent is dong more than the other. And of course I know there are many many less than "ideal" parenting teams out in the world.

But today I struggle being a single parent..a single mom (I know several single dads...and they struggle too) I am soooo broke, not even funny. My car needs two new tires (so said the mechanic..he said they would last two months if I drove like "granny"), my kids are trying their best to get sick. Trust me when they say, "mom my throat is sore, my ears hurt" I respond by saying "no, you are not getting sick...your throat and ears are fine." Who I am trying to convince is beyond me. But I am hoping against hope they can stay well until payday. Or I hope I can call the pediatrician and ask for some samples..have mercy on me! (am I a good mom or what?)

Time. Now that is a valuable commodity. Practices, birthday parties, after school stuff, church activities..I am so envious when I talk to friends...and they say something liked the following to the question "What did you do last night?" And they respond "well, I took Sue to practice, then dropped her off at a friends house, while my husband took, Nick to his practice, helped him with his homework. I did the grocery shopping and cooked dinner when I got home, while my husband checked the oil in my car, and repaired the leaky water faucet outside." And then I am asked what I did... and I really want to say...."well, I dropped child #1 off for practice...left her..because she is the oldest and has a cell phone. Took child #2 with me to buy stuff for child #1 for a project that is due in two days...., took #2 to his practice...asked a mom to watch him..while I pick up Child #1 and try to find something healthy that is served via the drive through window, because I haven't had time to shop much less cook. On the way home, had to add air to my tire, saw the oil light come on (can't remember the last time it was checked..sticker is gone from window) , so I checked that. Then I am pulled over because of a faulty tail light (has a short in it-trust me..it has been looked at, replaced, rewired, etc...give it time..it might work tomorrow) but thankfully no ticket. Finally reach home, check the homework that should have been done before practice, get clothes ready for the next day, try to wash a couple loads of laundry.. (praying I don't fall asleep before they are finished because one morning..I woke up to "sour" laundry...yuck). And just for kicks...I check my bank balance...I have like a $1.42...but trying not to stress...gas tank is full and no money due at school for either kid, so we should be okay." But instead of boring or scaring away my friend...I say..."Oh we did pretty much the same thing as you."

Now I know married couples have issues and struggles....but please everyone...be sympathetic and offer a helping hand to a single parent. Don't forget about your friends/family/church family members who are single parents. Also, please appreciate what you have..and never take for granted your spouse.

My message to single parents, you are not alone. Get involved in church, stay focused on God. Don't give up. Help yourself! But don't turn down help when it is offered.

No comments: