Barbie & Skipper
I could not list favorite toys and such without bringing up Barbie and friends.
I used to play Barbie for hours. I remember playing on our front porch, and Chris B. from down the street coming up and grabbing a Barbie mid-dress and waving her in the air - yelling "naked doll - naked doll." (funny how I remember that) Of course I used to get very mad at him. And that just made him tease me more.
Don't you remember the pink vinyl case that held about 4 Barbies and accessories - the little box at the end of the case - where you would try to stuff all the clothes and shoes? I had a few of those - and then if you were really lucky-you got one of those DELUXE cases - man I was proud of that case. Of course Barbie had dishes, beds, etc. I loved playing with Barbie.
Remember the Barbie make-up/style head? Where you could fix her hair and make-up. Of course eventually the makeup would be used up or broken. And you could actually wear some of the same hair stuff! How cool!
Ken had weird hair and clothes.
I remember Skipper. Barbie was the one you wanted to be like - but Skipper was the one you related to. She had no figure, she was little, and and she wore hand-me-downs from Barbie.
And her hair was always fried. (look at above picture - the one in the middle -see her hair? Barbie and friend are all slicked back and smooth - but poor Skipper her hair is off to the side)
My Aunt Evie one time gave me some old material scraps and safety pins - my Barbies looked so good in the different styles of dress I made from them. Or so I thought.
I think some girls today don't appreciate Barbie as much - because we started buying them too early for them. (my daughter included). From experience - 5 and 6 are good ages to start the Barbie trend.
1 comment:
I loved Barbies, too. I only have little boys at my house, so no Barbies for me.
Post a Comment