Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Which came first, Love or Sex?

I asked a friend (one of my guy friends) tonight if he and his wife had waited to be intimate, would they have married? He didn't know the answer. I think in that - the answer lies. I asked another friend - and she said she and her boyfriend (they are in their 40's) are waiting until they are married.

I have several friends who have been intimate with guys they were dating at the time, and not one relationship worked out in a positive way. (Yes, I know several people will email me or write saying the opposite worked for them) From what I can tell, women will be intimate with someone they have strong feelings for - most of the time they believe they are in love with the guy. Since I am not a guy, I cannot speak for them, but I don't think this is the case on their side. (hey, I could be wrong).

Before I go any further, I firmly believe in waiting until you are married before you are intimate with anyone. That is God's plan for us. Sex was made for marriage. And I have a few friends who have remarried and don't regret waiting until marriage to be intimate with their new spouse. They tell me , it is a gift to each other. I know of too many single friends who gave in - and are now hurting terribly-the relationship did not go the way they thought it was headed. Dealing with feelings and emotions they were not prepared to deal with.

I know. I know. Compared to today's standards, I sound terribly old fashioned and "prudish", but I am who I am. Now I have had people tell me I am pretty much eliminating "prospects" from the already slim dating pool, and that essentially I am eliminating myself from the dating pool. Surely, there are others out there who feel the same way as I?

And please if you are in an intimate relationship, ask yourself, does the other person genuinely care for you? Want to spend time with you? Or are you using each other for completely different reasons? One of you for a loving relationship and the other for ...well...sex.

Guard your heart, mind, and body...you are so valuable.

No comments: