Back to the old argument......
Can men and women be friends?
My 76 year old mother, thinks not. She does not understand the friendships I have with different guys, (they are from work, church, old friends..) She really does think there is no way possible for men and and women to be "just friends." (side note: I think it would be really cool for all my friends to meet, it would be an intersting mix...hmm maybe when I turn 40?)
Maybe she is right, mabye "Harry" from When Harry met Sally is right. Regardless if the woman knows it or not, does sex always enters the picture, even if it is just in the guy's mind? Is he sitting there, wondering "what if" or "man, she looks pretty good tonight."
This really has me thinking - I have several "guy" friends from church - and I don't think of them as a potential date/mate-they are friends - friends to go to a movie or dinner with. Same with a couple of guy friends, I met them through work and such. And I have a guy friend I have known since, well it seems like, since Moby Dick was a tadpole! :) We are just friends.
Do women view the friendship differently? Are we blind? Are there guys out there that never think of being intimate or in a romantic relationship with their female friends?
I must confess I've had two male friends - both of them I was attracted to at one time
(separate times of course!) - had feelings for - but I never acted on them - and we remain friends today. I wonder, did they feel the same way?
You read in previous post - how I wish I could feel something in the romantic sense for one guy friend - but it's just not there. And as a coworker said today - "if it's not there, its not there!" Does this friend of mine feel the same way?
Is it my mother's generation? Is it sign of the times? Or am I fooling myself. Hmmmm.. I wonder.
No comments:
Post a Comment