Sunday, November 10, 2013

Alzheimer Observations.....

I can just about tell you I post mom's antics every day on Facebook.  I share not for pity, but for people to laugh and to pray for us.  I have to be honest - I do have some moments I feel resentful - wishing more would step up - understanding why one cannot.  But in all honesty, we have enough family that we could have relief every weekend and not one person do it twice in a 6 week period.  By relief I mean, me being able to grocery shop, for us to go to church, date night, Sam's games.  I have asked - with no response.  That hurts the worse - I rather just be told no than ignored.  It makes me wonder did I ever ignore pleas for help or not offer anyone help when it was obvious they needed it.

Sooooo, forgive me if they are repetitive from Facebook - I know a few of my readers are not on Facebook.

I promise you we could be a reality TV show.... going backwards....

I posted this week life with an Alzheimer's patient is much like the two movies 50 First Dates and Groundhog Day - I can leave the room and come back.  Mom will say "Hello, good to see you."  Bath time (for me) anyway is a challenge.  She hates going to the bathroom - all of a sudden terrified of the bathroom.  I literally have to sit in there with her -hold her hand while she goes potty.  I read the other day - to give an Alzheimer's patient beads or small toys to play with while in the bathroom.  I haven't done that yet.  Flashcards help her talk - if she seems to have forgotten how to talk - she doesn't make much sense anymore - she knows what she is saying.....


Sunday - (Today) I woke mom up this morning to give her medicine.  And forgive me - she would be mortified - but I have to share..... she said "not now Charles." bahahahahahaha.

We had respite care today - so Mrs. Debbie was our caregiver  - she was awesome - mom kept her busy walking around the house.  Debbie observed mom has no mobility issues.  (unless she is putting on show for someone)

Right now, mom is sun downing big time - to distract her I gave her the mop.  When I handed it to her - she asked when she was getting paid. She is now playing with her babies, covering them up and such. 

Saturday.....

Was pretty quiet and calm - she did her usual mopping.  Even mopped my feet.


Then she took a nap.....

 
One of my most important jobs.....her medicine. Melecia and I have worked together - figuring the delicate balance of what medicine and when.  She takes medicine five times a day.  I do this every Saturday night.  No room for error.  It is checked and rechecked.
 
 

Thursday...

Guess who gives the dogs bites of food....

 
 
Babies all comfy.
 

 
 
 


No comments: