Tuesday, January 28, 2014

BOOST AND CAREGIVING



Okay, mom's appetite sunk a new low.  And so has her weight.  So, I get this brilliant idea - I bought Boost - oh, mom loves it - and it was helping her!  We (Melecia and I) were so excited.  We were making milkshakes and such with it - and mom was gulping it down!

However........it has a teeny, weeny flaw......  has no fiber...... and can cause constipation!  Can't win for losing. Traded one problem for another.

Constipation is an issue - mainly because mom does not want to take the time to sit to go potty - she fights us - it is unreal!  Then we have a nightmare - that takes a lot of work to solve - and everyone involved is exhausted and frustrated. 

Good grief. 

Her doctor called in medicine that increases her appetite and Praise the Lord - mom is eating without coaxing - you have no idea how that makes us feel.  She needs to gain weight - there is no doubt.

Here is a pic of her ---- see how skinny?  And why we were worried? Granted these clothes are more fitted and her frame is more obvious - but she looks better in them!  She weighs about 125 lbs - we are not in a danger zone - and I wanted to keep us from going there. So thankfully medicine is working and she is eating - please pray it continues.

 
 
 
Care giving is trial and error - we are still getting used to Depends undergarments and still trying to get her stay continent and on a regular schedule.  Allowing her to do as much for herself as she can.  Cut her food in finger size bites - that she can pick up - and ignore messes.  To cherish her dignity - to have her dressed, with make up perfume, nails done each day - to keep her clean and the house clean and smelling good. 
 
Care giving is hard - and somehow I thought we would be past violent stages - but they have resurfaced -but I have been studying - that is their way of acting out - because they don't know how to express themselves. 
 
Care giving, not going to lie, is exhausting in every sense of the word.  I am not going to lie, I can make jokes and laugh, but there are times I react badly.  I scream, fuss, slam, step outside - it is release - I have to let it out.  And then I feel guilty. 
 
Care giving is a ministry.  This is my ministry right now.  I miss teaching, miss kids - but this is where God wants me to be serving at this time.  However, all I do, I need to work to glorify God. 
 
I thank you for prayers and encouragement.
 




No comments: