Remembering my dad...
Before I start, Happy Father's Day to all of you guys out there. Even if you are not a dad - you mean something to someone - and that my dear friends is a valuable gift.
He wasn't perfect, but he didn't act like it.
My dad was one of the funniest men you would ever talk too. He had a wicked sense of humor, loved a good joke, especially if he were the one telling it - however he got a kick out of being "pranked."
My dad was a protector. He protected his girls and grandchildren - you just didn't mess with anyone he loved.
He used to totally embarrass me, a boy would knock on the door, "Is Becky Home?" the boy would ask. "Yep" my dad would answer. "May I see her?" the boy would ask. "Nope" my dad would say, followed by the slam of the door. What was wrong the different boys? Long hair (a major no no in my dad's eyes), a pierced ear, a car that looked all wrong, it didn't take much for my dad to rule out a guy. He would literally clean his hunting rifles on the front porch all the time. It was horrible! Now that I am the mother of a teenage girl - I appreciate his tactics.
He would take me to the movies every Friday night. Sitting through War Games, Footloose, Breakfast Club, etc. He would give me advice all the time, "Your date will never let you walk to the snack bar alone." Or "Your date will always walk you to the door."
He never graduated high school, but was one of the smartest men you would meet. He read all the time, he is the one who gave me my love of reading. I have the copy of Charlotte's Web he bought me at the mall bookstore. He would take me to the Library every Saturday - where I would check out books for both of us. I bet I was the only 13 year old reading Louis Lamour books.
He would wake me up every morning, and would have me a cup of tea and two pieces of toast, lightly toasted and buttered ready. We would read the newspaper together.
He would pick me up from whatever school function, eyeing every boy there, making sure that no one bothered me - but then he would actually care about my day and what happened.
He hated that his daughters had a monthly cycle - he couldn't stand the thought.
He liked long hair, hated short on women. Especially me, my hair has always been short.
He liked to garden.
He was a 49'er fan - he used to say Joe Montanna was talking to him on the phone at every game. He would love the hail mary passes from Montanna to Rice, he was living it right along with them.
He was a fisherman and a hunter.
He was in Isaiah devotionally when he could no longer read - Alzheimer's and Parkinson's took their toll.
I miss my dad.
But I know he is in a better place....
Happy Father's Day Daddy.
2 comments:
Your dad sounds oh so lovely, you truely were lucky........
ya jammy sod LOL
x
Marmie,
He was...quite a character.
Post a Comment