Nothing like the relationship between mother and daughter....
I live with both my mother and daughter. (You have to feel for my son, he lives with three women - 77, 37, and 14-he doesn't stand a chance and he will be ruined for his future wife....ahem D.C.....) It is an arrangement that will either kill you or bless you depending on what day of the week it is. And today falls under the former.
My mother and I have always had a strange relationship......we hate to love each other, if that even makes sense. (Yes, I know, it doesn't make sense. I need hours of therapy to even try to explain it or even understand it myself-and I've cried many a tear, but I am through crying-but that's another story in itself.)
Right now my daughter and I are butting heads at every turn. I am a wreck.
Today we went to the mall with the intent of buying her a pair of shorts (decent length and fit was my goal) and a shirt. We knew what stores to go into. Simple? In and out? Easy? Right?
Well, heck no. Obviously, you have not been shopping with a 14 year old girl lately.
We find the shorts and shirt - on sale I might add - she tries them on, I tell her, I have to see them on her before I buy them (I get an eye roll on this), she takes forever to open dressing room door - I take one look and pronounce them too tight. Way too tight - no room - we would never be able to wash them. I suggest another size, she starts arguing with me, I hold firm, I did not lose my temper, I told her they were too tight, she then SLAMS the dressing room door in my face. Hold me back..I am picturing justifiable jerking of the blond ponytail....then I would be on the 10:00 news, because of cameras, but mothers of teenage daughters would come to my defense, because they know how it is.
(Side note: I am pretty flexible on clothes-and not prudish - just because I wouldn't wear it-doesn't mean I will keep her from wearing it - she is 14 - I am 37-you pick your battles, but trust me when I say too tight - they did not flatter her at all)
But no, I remain calm, I tell her I am leaving the store, so I leave the store. She is soon to follow, oh, and I can see it on her face, she thinks I will give in, but nope I don't. I will not be treated that way. (This is going to be my new way of combating the shopping arguments - there won't be an argument-I will just leave)
My punishment? I buy myself an outfit instead. And it looks cute if I do say so myself.
Hmmmph.
I love my daughter - but we are clashing at every turn - geesh - I know it will get better. When? Because if the relationship between me and my mother is anything to go by - it just won't happen. I am telling you, I have this image, my daughter on some talk show, saying, "Well, it started with my mother...."
No comments:
Post a Comment