Saturday, August 26, 2017

TEXAS - HURRICANE HARVEY

A category 4 hurricane hit Texas yesterday.  Many towns, many people, many business and more affected.  At this writing there has been one confirmed death.

I have seen on the news the devastation.  I have a special interest in a little town.  Rockport, TX.  Steve has a cousin who lives there with a wife.  A charming town of  10.000.  I like looking at the pictures and the videos of folks on the beach or at town celebrations.  They take care of their own.
I am trying to imagine what they are feeling as they see the same news footage as I do.  Do they recognize their houses?  Their streets?  I saw the store front of bookstore that looked untouched, but video took us to the back and the side and it was devastation.  Ironically there was a section or two still standing.  I wonder what books survived?  The laundry mat - destroyed. You could see the line of dryers leaning precariously against the one wall still standing.  The owner has no insurance.  He came to collect change from the machines and money from the machine.  A reporter could not believe there was no looting in the town.  I can, Getting to know his cousin, his wife, his friends and family, I have come to know the town. I think it reminds me of our little Brighton - minus the beach.

The town will rebuild.  Souls will heal.  All will realize as we all do at one time or the other, if not already, stuff is just stuff.  Lives matter.  Families matter.

God Bless Rockport, TX and all of Texas.  You are in my prayers.

No comments: