Thursday, August 07, 2014
From hellish day to a gift...sorta
Today I took mom to the doctor for a check up. Should have been normal and routine? Well, heck no, there is nothing normal and routine when it comes to Alzheimer's.
All week, mom had tummy issues - no matter what was given, what was done, what she ate - no potty. It came to a head this morning - of course! The great poopie explosion - three times. Two showers later, three outfits - all washed twice along with bedding, a bleached bathroom from top to bottom...we have a bit of time before the visit. She was quiet - cooperative real good.
We leave for the doctor - no issues getting her in the car. Trust me a HUGE miracle. We stop at Sonic for my therapy drink and I get her a Sprite and tater tots - she wolfed down. We get to the doctor - she will not get out of the car - took about 10 minutes - but we make it. We arrive inside - sign in and they call her back. The nurse, bless her heart, set the tone for the day, she tried to take mom's purse out of her hands so she can be weighed. Ummmm no. That was it. Mom was through.
The doctor wants a urine specimen based on last visit and they are thinking UTI. So I get her in the bathroom - but there is no getting her on the potty - she fights, kicks, you name it - finally sits down. A nurse comes to help - mom grabs my head and bangs it against wall and pulls out clunks of hair.(she always goes for my head or face-even when I was little - nothing like a flip flop on the face) It took two people to get her to let go of me. Unreal and embarrassing. She goes potty - we clean her up - get her back in wheel chair and back to room. Doctor was kind enough to say just go and we will call you with results. Thank goodness. No word yet.
Now the gift...I called care coordinator ..she called doctor...I may be getting more help and in home medical visits. (doc is going to arrange) Praise the Lord! May take a bit to get set up -but they are going to try to hurry. I was already worn out from the early morning bathroom nightmare - I was an emotional wreck. I had an emotional breakdown - two nurses crying with me.
When I was trying to get mom in the car, a gentleman (rare these days) sees that we are struggling - he was a doctor - he lifts mom, gets her in car, buckles seat belt, has wheel chair in trunk in record time. Mom offered him a tip. He laughed. I decided he was an angel. He never said a word.
I know we are taking a turn down a different road - a turn toward the end. I know mom is mean and cruel at times - but I also know she is saved and rest in that knowledge. I just need support, and it is not coming from those I need it from. I ask for prayers. I need to get stronger. I need to be healthier. I need to lose weight. So many things. I have put ME on the back burner for too long and I so feel it. Please pray for mom, for clearer moments, fewer falls, less agitation, sleep filled nights and cooperative days. Pray for my marriage and my kids - this is touching every area of our lives. Pray for me - for the above wants and needs.
I thank you for your prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Becky, God bless you. This is the last terrible thing this fallen life can do to your Mom. I rejoice with you that she is saved.
You have always put you on the backburner since we have been best friends. Your time is coming. I am praying. I am so glad your mom is saved and I know your goal is to keep her with you as long as you can. I understand why and I respect and support that decision. I love you and your family.
Post a Comment