Some funny....some not so funny.....some frustrating....some indescribable....
I was a brave soul twice this weekend - I was off on Friday - so I decided to take mom - mall walking I had her wheel chair - so we head out.
Every time we came up behind someone - she would say "beep beep, toot, toot," let me through. Since I was pushing the wheelchair - I could not pretend I wasn't with her. Ha. Ha.
And yes, mom was mean before Alzheimer's geesh - and it comes through now. She used to gripe and complain about everything - and the whole time out - that is what she did. ARRRGGGHHHHHH.
After the mall - we make a trip to Sam's club - I bought detergent and such - no wheelchair - but she decides she can't walk anymore and makes herself fall...of course 20 people rush over - I caught her before she hit anything - but I knew she had done it on purpose. A wheelchair appears - they baby her and make over her. And she is a happy camper. Hmmph. Talk about manipulative.
Steve and I have used a full size bed since we have been married - we decided to switch to queen - or he did - initially I bought a new headboard, frame that could be either full or queen - I was happy. Found it at a scratch sale - but he wanted a queen -so he decided to buy the mattress set - we get mom out again - we find one on sale- a super nice one - after negotiating and ad comparing....while we are in the store - mom says hello to everyone - I am thinking - "oh, she is sweet mode" - then she tells one lady - "you know I am peeing blood and I bleed out of my mouth - and they don't feed me or let me out the house." The woman mouthed "Alzheimer's?" to me - and I nodded by head.
Oh, did I mention that while we were walking into above store- I noticed mom was walking funny - weird funny - then she asks to go potty. We get in the bathroom - out falls a roll of toilet paper.
After the mattress purchase - mom and I head to Walmart - to buy new sheets for bed - and to pick up a few things - mom is only good for a few things. She totally acts ugly in the store - slaps the arm of the cashier who was trying to ring up the dog food. I was mortified. I apologized. We walk out the door at Walmart and the cute little girls in pony tails - tell me that Thin Mints will make me feel better - who am I to argue? Then, of course mom says she is starving - no way, no how am I getting out of the car with her again - so we go through the drive through -and I get her a sandwich. She has to sit in the back - it has child locks and she can't grab the wheel. She eats half the sandwich and then decides to throw the rest at me. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Praise the Lord, we get home, mom decides to do her fake fall - as there are neighbors outside again I am mortified. I get her up and in the house. By the time I in the house- I am a blasted wreck. I had to take a nerve pill and sit outside and chill the heck out -everyone understood. Tori helped with mom - Steve and Sam took everything in.
I do have to mention she slept good all weekend long - getting her there was the challenge. Bath time is a challenge - these are our most violent moments - where I am hit, kicked, slapped, in the bathroom yesterday I was trying to clean her up - she opened the cabinet drawer while I was bent down - and made it hit my head about five times - she knew what she was doing. I so chewed her out.
Medicine is another challenge - she won't swallow it - keep in her mouth till it dissolves and she gags. Or she will spit out. Or if we crush and put in pudding or ice cream - she will hold in her mouth till she makes herself sick - yesterday she spit out medicine and poured drink everywhere.
I have made the decision to care for mom - I am going to learn some new tricks and methods in handling the combativeness. Just when I am on the verge of collapsing - I find renewed energy. Has to be God. Steve's patience has improved greatly with mom - he gets very mad when she slaps me though. So does Sam. But my reaction and my attitude is key in handling mom - I have to do better in the patience department. She is the one who is sick - I am not - I can control my actions.
I just ask for prayer for me and my family. For mom - to have clearer days.
1 comment:
I am glad you chewed her out.
Sorry . . . I am with Steve and Sam.
Post a Comment