Goodbyes
Goodbyes are hard, especially when you know there is a chance you won't ever see that person again.
I never knew my grandparents - they were gone long before I was born. When I married I was blessed to gain my ex-husband's grandmother. We have a close but odd relationship - (really odd considering I am no longer married to her grandson-as I have said before-just call us Ruth and Naomi - I tease her and tell her I am still waiting on Boaz)
She is 93. Her son (former father-in-law) lives in Nashville and is not in good health. Her daughter lives in Florida.
Grand fell sick this past week - and obvious to everyone - she can no longer live on her own
(I have done as much as I could - considering I am not family, etc) She is in the hospital, but once she is stronger - she is moving to Florida.
She is telling people goodbye - knowing that for both parties - it will probably be the last time they will see each other. She cries.
She is a true Southern lady of old school. Table set at every meal, pickles served no matter what. A child of depression -nothing and I mean nothing is ever thrown away. (took us forever to get her not to use the Styrofoam meat trays from which raw meat would be on...eew.) Church on Sunday, hair done on Friday. Tomatoes planted in the back yard. Plants on the porch in the summer- moved in come fall. Same with summer porch furniture. She wears a camisole, slip, hose in all weather. Wears a rain bonnet when it rains, a scarf (silk or wool depending on the temperature) when it is windy. She served on the flower committee at church - and she would bring fresh cut flowers from her flower garden - as did every lady on this committee. She sang in her choir for years and years. Loyal to her family, proud of every great grand child - 7 of them. She knew when to give up driving - no one had to do it for her. She mowed her own yard until she was eighty something, volunteered at a thrift store for charity, took other shopping, walked 3 miles everyday - and biked three on her stationary bike up until about 5 years ago.
She has never missed an Olympic broadcast - loves the figure skating. Soap operas were called "her stories" - she taped movies all the time - she loved her VCR.
I could say so much more - but you get the picture.
She is made of some strong stuff - doesn't mince words. You will definitely know where she stands and how she feels..
I will miss her more than she knows.
No comments:
Post a Comment