Monday, November 17, 2014

Venting

Warning - I am venting!

I learned from two different sources that at an in service training for caregivers employed by the agency that Melecia works for - that Mom was mentioned by name by substitute caregivers, office personnel, her health care plan and insurance discussed in a group setting.  Can we say HIPPA laws?  Questioned out loud in the class by office staff  "do our services justify what we are getting paid?"  Seriously?  They do not pay their caregivers enough.

I am so aggravated about those who started the discussion.  I am protective of mom, but I also understand how hard their job is.  I always say... "if you are uncomfortable with anything, let me know."  I had three subs - who would not cook a meal for mom - I had to cook her lunch, get snacks ready, etc before leaving for the day.  I did this because one caregiver said mom  said "I am not hungry."  Who the heck takes the word of an Alzheimer's patient?  She had nothing to eat or drink for a whole day - developed an UTI.    Heck, I had one who said she couldn't open a can of soup - and I asked her if she tried the can opener.  Hmmph

I prepare mom's medicine for the week - divided by days and hours.  They said in the class - this wasn't part of the job.  That they were concerned about getting sued.  So, last night I changed all mom's meds - so I give all to her. 

The in service was on Alzheimer and Dementia care - which I am all for.  But my mother should have never been mentioned by name, her finances never discussed.  I am so upset.  A trust has been broken.  If they need someone to teach a class on Alzheimer care - give me a call. 

(Melecia is not the guilty one - but I heard how she was upset at all was being said-she was as upset as I....I had more folks there that cared about us as a family than they think/thought)

Mom can still be hard to care for - but she literally sits and chatters all day. Can be tough to change and clean up.    Plays with her babies, busy basket, will let you read books.  Takes a bath daily  - just because mom took pride in her appearance, and I refuse for her to smell bad) - but even then I will say - if she won't cooperate, I will do it.  I am about 20 minutes away - any issue - I have said - call me. 

arrrrggggghhhh

I am so mad and hurt.

No comments: